Saturday, January 10, 2009

TOP 10 COUNTDOWN

Okay everybody, we are now 10 weeks away from opening kick 2009, and it is time to begin my countdown of my top 10 games of 2009.  These are games that for me were special, and I look forward to reminiscing the past season with you guys.  Check out the link below, and click on the RSL game to see highlights from the game. (If it doesn't load the games for you, on the right of the screen go to select week, and then go to week ending 3/30). 

Game Number 10
RSL vs. Chicago Fire
March 29, 2008

This was the season opener for RSL, and the anticipation was killing me.  I remember getting to the game a couple of hours early for this one.  Aubrey was not feeling well, as she was beginning her pregnancy with Kaden, so I went to the game by myself, which meant that I could go as early as I wanted and stay as late as I wanted.  
Well, the stadium was pretty full, and not only with RSL fans.  There were many fans who came to cheer on Cuatemoc Blanco, who is one of the heros of Mexican soccer.  The entire game, the Mexican fans where chanting "Cuatemoc, Cuatemoc", which caused the RSL fans to chant "RSL, RSL."  It was a great atmosphere for a game.  
RSL jumped on the board first thanks to an own goal by Bakary Soumare in the 71st minute.  This was the result of a Dema Kovalenko cross directed for Robbie Findley.  
It was looking that RSL was going to start of the season with a victory, but, we caught a glimpse of the old RSL, as they gave up the equalizing goal in the 92nd minute with a beautiful goal by Blanco.  The stadium erupted with cheers by all of Blancos fans.  On the bright side, at least we didn't loose the first game of the season.  
Following the game, I stayed to greet some of the players, and get their autographs.  Finally, the RSL stadium had begun.

No comments: