Saturday, January 31, 2009

Top 10 COUNTDOWN: #7

RSL vs. New England Revolution
June 21, 2008
RSL 2-1 NE

This game made my Top 10 Countdown, because this was a good win versus a very good opponent in New England.  It was also interesting how I made it to this game as well.  
My wife and I left Virginia after visiting my family, and as we were flying on the play, I kept checking my watch counting down to game time.  My in-laws picked us up from the airport, and they brought me my car, and I drove straight to the game from the airport, and made it just as they were getting ready to kick off.  Aubrey stayed home for this one, as she was tired after the plane ride.  Now to the game.

RSL gave up an early goal to New England after a defensive mixup with the goalie, and I was getting worried that New England (who was on an eight game unbeaten streak) would dominate the game.  RSL was able to equalize on an own goal by New England, as Morales sent in a ball from a free kick that was deflected into the goal.
In the second half, Tino Nunez scored his first MLS goal to put RSL on top 2-1, and I spent the rest of the match pacing the stands hoping that we wouldn't give up a late goal.  RSL was able to hang on, and I was able to leave happy.

No comments: