Sunday, March 1, 2009

Top 10 COUNTDOWN: #4

RSL vs. New York Red Bulls
October 9, 2009
RSL 1-1 NY Red Bulls

As the season began, this was the game that I was most looking forward to.  This was the first game that RSL played in their new stadium, Rio Tinto Stadium.  I had been looking forward to this day ever since talks began about Real getting their own place, and the day had finally come.  We got to the stadium pretty early, and we took in the sights, and Aubrey humored me as I walked around and took pictures from almost every angle of the stadium, inside and out.  White rally towels were given to everybody, and I remember when RSL took the field, everybody was waving their towels.  I had always seen this done on tv, and now I was able to do it myself, and it was very exciting.  As the game began, I couldn't believe that this day had come.
Well, the party was short lived, as New York opened the game with a Dave Van De Berg goal.  That was in the 20+ minute of the game.  However, the party began soon later with a goal by Jamison Olave off of a corner kick, and the emotions of everybody, players and fans alike, was unreal.  Towels were waving, streamers were flying, and everybody was screaming.  It was great.  Nobody was able to break the deadlock, and the game ended in a 1-1 tie, which was a little disappointing, but at least it wasn't a loss.

No comments: