Monday, March 9, 2009

Top 10 COUNTDOWN: #2

RSL vs. Chivas USA
November 1, 2008
RSL 1-0 Chivas

Well, you might think what could have been better than going to the Western Conference Finals, which was number 3 on our countdown.  Well, I don't think that I was more excited to go to any game than I was to go to the very first playoff game for RSL.  I remember buying my tickets for this game, and my friend and I decided to splurge a little bit and get us some tickets on the sideline for this historic game.  We bought the tickets right after we had beaten FC Dallas at home.  We still had to go to Colorado, but we were pretty confident we could get a result there.  
Well, this was a great game to be at.  There were plenty of Chivas USA fans there, and they came with their fireworks and smoke bombs, ready to have a good time.  I do think though that a lot of fans cheering for Chivas USA were actually Chivas Mexico fans, they just like anything that has Chivas in it.
Well, the first half had a couple of chances, with no goals, and that was the same situation for pretty much most of the second half.  Now this was the first game of a two game series, where the two teams play a home and home series, and they go on aggregate goals, meaning they combine the two games.  Seeing how we started at home, we really wanted to have an advantage going to Chivas next week.  Well, in the 90th minute, we had our miracle worker (read more about him next week) Yura Movsisyan put a ball in the back of the net to give RSL the 1-0 advantage.  I remember that I just lost it when Yura scored.  We had been standing for the last 15 minutes or so, and the stadium erupted with the goal.  The unbelievable was happening for us again.  It was one of my greatest moments as a Real Salt Lake fan.
While the second leg of this series did not make the top ten, Real went to play chivas in the second leg, where they tied 2-2, and RSL won the series 3-2 on aggregate to go to the Western Conference Finals.

No comments: