Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Roster Moves

So far during this off season, RSL has made three changes to their roster.
The first move was the acquisition of Abe Thompson from Kansas City. Abe is a veteran MLS striker. Honestly, I cannot remember ever seeing him, and his name is not familiar for me. I guess we will just have to wait and see when RSL gets into training camp about this new player.
With the addition of Thompson came the trading of Chris Seitz to Philadelphia. In my opinion, this was a good move for RSL. Seitz has barely seen the pitch here at RSL, and I think he deserves a chance to go and show what he can do. With Rimando playing the way he is, I do not see us using Seitz anytime soon. I think that Kyle Reynish will be sufficient as RSL maybe looks to add a veteran backup keeper. This was also a good move as I believe it prevented Philadelphia from taking any RSL players in the expansion draft.
Finally, RSL agreed to a contract extension with Fabian Espindola through the year 2013. Great news for RSL. With Yura's future in question (will he stay in Europe if his team is relegated, switch to a new team, etc) and the possiblility of Robbie Findley playing for the National Team during the World Cup, it was important for RSL to lock up Espy. He is a great striker in my opionion, and adds a lot of flare to the team. It will be interesting to see how Kreis lines up our strikers this upcoming season.
What do you guys think of the moves? Is their anything you are hearing in regards to roster moves? Let me know.

3 comments:

The Troxels said...

The question that you have to ask yourself when considering the trade of Seitz, will Reynish be able to step up in the off chance that Rimando gets hurt? It is true Seitz did not get a lot of opportunity to show that he can be considered a dependable goalie, but in the few games he did play in, I believe, he showed some real talent. So was this trade really a good move? I guess only time can tell.

-SCOTT-

Jordan, Aubrey, Kaden, and Toby said...

Good point. And thanks for the comments. Become one of my followers (that sounds kinda churchy).
I think there is the possiblility that there is a young keeper with ties to RSL. He might make the generation addidas list, and could be a potential backup. However, that might not happen for another year or so.

The Daybell Family said...

I think overall the trade was a good thing for RSL and Seitz. With so much promise he deserved a chance to show it. However, if there was ever a year when he could have gotten a lot of games it would be this upcoming year with so many added fixtures following winning the cup.

I think the biggest loss is going to be Yura. He really gave RSL a potent attack whether starting or playing the super-sub role.