Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Thoughts on the US Open Cup

Well, RSL is currently playing their first match in US Open Cup Qualifying, and they are getting blown away against Seattle 4-1 in the second half.  As I have been listening to this match, I was thinking about the US Open Cup, and here are some thoughts.
I wish that people took the US Open Cup more seriously.  And by that, I don't mean the players, because I think that they go out and play hard every game.  I am glad that the radio is providing coverage of this match, but if we have a TV Channel dedicated to Real Salt Lake, why can't they provide television of this match?  Why is the only game that we see ever in the US Open Cup is the final?  There are great stories that develop during the open cup, whether it is teams from the lower division making deep runs, as well as qualifying for the CONCOCAF Champions league.  
While I love the international game, I would love to see maybe some extra coverage of the Open Cup on Fox Soccer Channel.  By this, I do not mean every game, but they could at least start with maybe the quarterfinals, and do some games on tape delay.  All they would have to do is not show Fox Soccer report 8 times a day. 
I think that people do not care about this tournament, because nobody gets to see it ever.  At least let me see my home club play in this important tournament.
Well, that is all for this time.  What do you guys think about the US Open Cup?  

No comments: